Sunday, October 14, 2007

Co-Blogger: Konnichiwa (kon-nee-che-wa)! Watashi wa Ann desu

Ha, beautifully said! What an exciting way to introduce our friends to the trip. My sister Ha and I will be guiding you on the trip. Many people think we are the same person; people say we look identical. Is this true? I am more than 20 pounds heavier than she is.

The second photo from left to right is my GQ father, that's me, my handsome husband Dale and lovely mother, all are delegates on this trip, as Ha has mentioned. T, B-O-B, and Gary are missing from the photos but I can point them out to you later on the trip.

Ha will provide you with the, lets say…tourist experience and I will do my best (with the assistance of my Japanese American husband Dale) to give you the behind the scenes navigation on this organized culinary trip.

This San Francisco-Osaka Sister City, 50th Anniversary trip is my first trip to Japan and Dale’s 5th trip to Japan. Dale is a pro bono lobbyist and former board member of the host non-profit JCCCNC, the Japanese Cultural Community Center of Northern California. For the 45th Anniversary, this same group of organizers and Dale hosted the NFL 49ers-Redskins World Expedition Game in Japan. They dined and wined with 49ers executives, players and coaches and cheerleaders. Ooooh, I am already thinking about the 55th anniversary trip. I wonder what the theme for the next trip will be? Suggestions anybody?

Earlier today, I was appointed group leader on one of the tours to the Kintetsu Department Store on October 18th…I should have known they were going to make me work. What does this involve? I am not sure but I’ll give you the inside scoop after I learn more at the group leader orientation in Japan. Better yet, meet me at the department store at 1-1-43 Abeno-suji, Osaka, 27 Japan.

Kintetsu Department Store is a huge department store, similar to the fancy Harry Gordon Selfridge department store in London. You will find many of the world's top brands of clothes, sporting goods and accessories as well as kimonos and top-class Japanese ceramics. The food hall, which is housed in the basement, stocks a good selection of imported food as well as the best of local produce. The ninth floor is home to the Kintetsu art gallery and some excellent restaurants, more of which can be found on the 10th floor. This is where I will be purchasing my souvenirs.

Has Ha mentioned that we’ll be eating morning ‘til night? If Ha is successful on the trip, she’ll come home 20 pounds heavier. See you at the airport in 22.5 hours Ha.

Ja mata ne! (See ya!)